Thursday, July 5, 2007

Learning From the BIG BOYS!!!



I've been on an animation kick lately, and certain cartoon/broad style artists have been my inspiration of growth with my art. Primarily Shane Lewis, Tom Bancoft, and Harald Siepermann, all of whose blogs I read daily and attempt to mimic their style by attempting some of their more simple works. Of course I’m no where near as good as they are; these are trained professionals with degrees in art and design and I’ve only been drawing regularly for not even a year!

Here’s a flying pig I drew along with Shane Lewis’ instructional video, yeah, I know it doesn’t look exactly like it, but that’s actually a good thing. (please don’t sue me Shane)



You can see I completely jacked his style to do this pig in a flyer for a pool party. The caption above this pic read ‘bring your own swim suit’, (B.Y.O.S.S.) with an arrow pointing to the pig’s speedo saying ‘good’ and arrows pointing to the elephant’s censor bars saying ‘bad’.


Once again I used Shane’s postings to attempt a new endeavor in photoshop. I’ve never digitally colored anything besides all the effects I did in my play poster, I hope I’ve made my teacher proud ;)

6 comments:

annabelle said...

so are you advertising a new line of swimwear for C28?

Anonymous said...

I've tried digitally coloring, and I'm awful at it. How do you do it?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how the first drawing would look if it were animated, so I made this.

L. D. Torres said...

THAT'S AMAZING!!! how did u do that?

Anonymous said...

Photoshop CS2 has animation tools. (I don't know if other versions do, since that's the only one I've used.) It's really easy. It's just eight frames of animation on a loop.

S.T. Lewis said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this one before. I saw it a month ago and apparently forgot to comment on it. No worries... I won't sue you for drawing the pig... until your rich.

Thanks for always coming to my blog and commenting. I need to do better at commenting on blogs myself... you inspire me in that way.

Also... I love the expressions on the pig and elephant... especially the elephant.